ERIC, a new European Research Infrastructure Consortium
To reach its objectives, Euro-Argo wishes to transfer the existing cooperative arrangements of the first Preparatory Phase (january 2008- june 2011) into a body with legal personality separate from its Members :
- to enhance cooperation and collaboration :
- to enable the most efficient and effective management of collective resources
- to enable Members to fulfil their national and collective responsibilities
- to enable Euro-Argo to directly receive funding from national, European and international sources
- to enable Euro-Argo to enter into contracts on its own behalf including the purchase of floats and other property, goods or services
- and to complement and strengthen the governance established by the International Argo programme.
The Members wish to optimise their collective contribution to relevant EU policies (such as the Integrated Maritime policy), programs and projects. Therefore they agreed to establish a European Research Infrastructure Consortium, called “the Euro-Argo ERIC”, under Council Regulation (EC) No 723/2009 (of 25 June 2009, governed by legal statutes.
Numerous implementation aspects for ERIC :
Argo must be considered in its ensemble: not only the instruments, but also the logistics necessary for their preparation and deployments, field operations, the associated data streams and data centres. That's why the new Euro-Argo research infrastructure establishes a high level of cooperation between partners in all implementation aspects:
- operation at sea,
- array monitoring and evolution,
- technological and scientific developments,
- improving data access for research and operational oceanography (GMES),
- link to the international management of the Argo programme.
A huge work is done on several key technical (float technology, data management and delivery system) and organizational (logistics for deployment, coordination of national contributions) issues, to consolidate and broaden the user community and to demonstrate further the impact and utility of the infrastructure for Europe.