Monitoring the Oceans and Climate Change with Argo
Since its start, Euro-Argo partners have been discussing closely with the European Commission (DG-MARE, DG-RESEARCH AND DG-GROWTH) on supporting the Euro-Argo Infrastructure to develop a long-term european contribution to Argo. In April 2015, a proposal has been submitted to DG-MARE through EASME and definitely was signed in mid-june 2015. In the framework of the action « Monitoring the Oceans » of the EMFF Work Programme 2015, the MOCCA project (Monitoring the Oceans and Climate Change with Argo) started end of June 2015, and is scheduled for a 5-year period (2015-2020).
With a MOCCA contribution of 4M€, the ERIC with its members will add an additional 20% (i.e. 1M€) that will generate a total of 5M€ allowing three actions:
- Procurement of 150 T/S Argo floats (Core and Iridium) during 2015-2016,
- Arrangement for their deployment in 2016-2017, including at-sea monitoring,
- Collected data processing in real-time and delayed-mode, during the period 2015-2019.
MOCCA will focus on 5 target deployment areas:
- Southern Ocean (ice free), to improve the actual poor density in Argo network.
- Nordic Seas (ice free): based on actual national plans, there are gaps in the area from target identified in the Euro-Argo Strategy document.
- Marginal Seas endhancement: Baltic Sea, Black Sea, Mediterranean Sea (Aegean and Levantine Seas).
- Contribution to the global network.