The scientific and practical seminar “International Cooperation in the Field of Marine Scientific Research – an Important Factor in the Development of Black Sea Regional Projects of the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO and European Union” was held at the Great Conference Hall of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine on October 19, 2017.
The seminar was conducted in accordance with the work plan for the current year of the Interdepartmental Coordination Council on Marine Research Affairs of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine and the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. The organizer of the seminar was Scientific Hydrophysical Centre of the NAS of Ukraine, with the assistance of Department of Earth Sciences of the NAS of Ukraine, Institute of Marine Biology of the NAS of Ukraine, Odessa І.І. Mechnikov National University and Kyiv charitable organization “Marine Charitable Foundation”.
The aim of the seminar was to discuss the prospects for joint scientific operations and investigations of the Black Sea, as well as other parts of the World Ocean in the interests of:
- acquainting colleagues with the main results from the Black Sea scientific research;
- combining efforts to establish permanent scientific contacts;
- mobilization of knowledge and human resources in support of the realization of the IOC/UNESCO initiatives;
- identifying new opportunities for participation in enhancing cooperation within the IOC in developing the potential of marine science;
- provision of clear coordination of cooperation at regional, national and individual levels within the framework of the relevant IOC programs;
- facilitating the preparation of joint grant applications.
Representatives and leading scientists of the institutions and organizations of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources of Ukraine and foreign guests, including Dr Pierre-Marie Poulain (OGS, Italy, chair of the Euro-Argo ERIC Management Board), have participated in the seminar.